Saco Stars Competition Cheering Teams & Activities
2020-2021 Saco Stars Competition Cheering
**SACO STARS PRACTICES POSTPONED UNTIL DECEMBER 2020**
SPR is now registering for the upcoming season of Saco Stars Competition Cheering through November 30th, 2020, or as space allows.
In light of considerations regarding COVID-19, we are following all recommendations from the Maine Department of Economic and Community Development regarding “Community Sports” and guidance from the Maine Youth Cheering Coaches Association (MYCCA). We are thrilled to offer a program this season, and want to make you aware of the changes this year that will be required to offer this program in a safe manner.
Season Update 10/13/2020: Earlier this month, we collected interest from participants who would like to participate with Saco Stars Cheering this year. Based on sign ups from those interested, we will be moving forward with three teams: Rising, Shooting, and Super. Teams are limited to 16 participants - all those that signed up for interest will be placed on teams and remaining seats on teams are available to register below.
Please see below for more information about the season including safety measures adopted by MYCCA, competition format, and COVID-19 prevention protocols.
Saco Stars Competition Cheering Program Info 2020-2021
- Coaches: Daria Morton, Miranda Mitton, and Brooke Meserve
- Season Dates: November 8th, 2020-spring 2021
- Sunday practices, times per division listed with activities - first practice on November 8th
- Spring competition schedule TBD
- Location: Saco Community Center
- Divisions: Rising (K-2), Shooting (3-4), and Super (5-8).
- Division Max: 16 participants – this is a finite max. Programs offered this season will be smaller to limit potential exposure to the Coronavirus.
- Season Fee: $175.00
- Who: Open to Saco and Dayton residents.
As of September 2020: MYCCA is currently looking to offer virtual competitions in early 2021. Cheerleaders will perform routines from the safety of their own practice location. Judges will evaluate and score performances via digital platform, like Zoom. This format is evolving and subject to change. Final details and comp schedules TBD.
Saco Stars 20-21: What's Different?
- This season will feature safety measures adopted by MYCCA to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Here is an overview of some of the primary changes:
- Routines will not include stunting.
- The focus will be on cheer, jumps, tumbling and dance.
- With this change, we will not require evaluations.
- We will offer 3 divisions this year, with team age categories determined by interest at sign up.
- Teams are limited to 16.
- Competitions will be held virtually.
COVID-19 Prevention Protocols
1. Upon arrival, cheerleaders will report to the coach for a health screening and temperature check. Masks will be required during the health screening process.
2. Cheerleaders will utilize hand sanitizer at the health screening station before joining their team and as needed throughout practice.
3. Update 11/5/2020: the use of facial coverings during practice and events will follow all state guidelines during the season.
1. Practices will be closed to outside parties.
2. If you need to speak to a coach in person, masks are required.
1. Any shared equipment will be cleaned and sanitized between practices.
2. Practices will be 1.5 hours and only for one division per block. The schedule includes a 30 minute period between divisions to clean equipment and limit shared use of the building.
Additional Forms and Files: